Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm just not enough butter for the toast

Lately, and I am going to blame this on school, I feel spread to thin. It seems like I've been spending my time working or at school. People are starting to ask me when I can hang out and be social but I have no answer for them. This is crunch time at school, with tests coming and papers due. I see my boyfriend only because he comes over and spends time with me when I'm not hunched over a book I have to read for class. Sometimes I sit and read next to him while he plays a video game! Talk about time together!

I know education is important, and that I shouldn't really complain, but I feel like I'm letting people down and they are going to get upset. I have that, "my hands are tied! what do you want me to do?" feeling.

So far I've explained my situation to everyone who has asked to spend time with me. I'm not sure how I will fit everyone in but I will save that for a later day to figure out. I guess my question I am posing is how do you handle the spread to thin feeling? Tell everyone to suck it and leave you alone? Explain profusely until they understand?

I think as writers this is an issue that pops up as well. Writing takes time. Lots of time. When you are in the middle of writing you don't want to stop, but yet others seem to notice your missing presence. How to keep the balance?