Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Words

I love England. I have never been there, but am thinking of going this fall. A friend asked me why I liked it so much, I didn't have an answer. The next day it came to me. I love the words they use. Not necessarily their accents, though I'm sure all American's can agree that English accents are flippin' cool, but the words they use in their vocabulary.

I love Jane Austen and her novels, but why? The stories are great, but the language and how they speak to each other is what makes me fall in love with it.

I also realized that the way I communicate best with others is through words. I'm not much of a gift giver, but I like to listen and use words that express really meaning. I feel like American's are somewhat sloppy with their words, especially when texting, and there is no beauty in them anymore.
I don't talk like I just walked out of a Jane Austen novel, but I believe that is where my love for England originated from. I tend to speak more formal in writing than I do in person as well.

Do words mean a lot to you? As writers I think we are more drawn to words than others, since we use them to express our ideas. Let me know what you think!