Monday, June 20, 2011

Writing after a long break

Before I started the novel I am writing now, I hadn't really written for over a year. I mean I wrote papers for school and a poem every now and again, but no novel. I didn't even read that much either. Now, we all have our reasons for taking a break, I know I did. I wasn't emotionally ready to write again and I didn't have a story in my mind that I felt was worth writing. When the story came though, I wanted to write it.

Somehow, writing isn't coming to me like it did over a year ago. I'm not eager to get to the computer to type out as many words as I can. After a month of writing I only have a little over 10,000 words to show for it. I read a post by Jamie Glover about writing after an absence and it really helped me. My goal now is to just write a little each day. Even if it is just a page. I think about my story all the time-I love it and I think its great! Totally needs to be told and I think it's awesome I get to be the one to tell it. Since reading that post I have written each day. Not a lot, but the little bits will start to add up and I know that this writing experience is going to be different from my last one, but that is okay.

So, taking it a day at a time, a page at a time, I'm moving on and at some point this story will be completed. I'm excited for that day and I hope at some point I will be able to squeeze out more then just a few pages a day. Has there ever been a time in your life where you tried to pick something back up, but it just wasn't the same?