Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Blogger Challenge Day 13!

Describe an underappreciated book everyone should read.

When I saw that this was todays question, I went to my bookshelves, and simply looked around for books I love that I know those around me (family and friends) have probably not read, or not for a long time. I ended up with five books. So I will try to keep it brief for each one.


First book I think everyone should read is, "The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time." by Mark Haddon.  I bought this book for $3 at a used bookstore and it was money well spent. The main character in this book a teenager who happens to be autistic. He is accused of killing a neighbors dog and after a night in jail, decides to solve the mystery of who killed the dog.

This is a short, wonderfully written read. I think everyone should read it because as someone who has worked with autistic people, it gives great insight into how they think and act. Everyone could use a better understand of those around them I feel.

Not sure if this book is underappreciated or not, not now anyway. It's won several awards and is going to be a movie this fall. I read it a year or so ago. I had heard friends talk about it, say cool things, and when I finally got my hands on a copy I understood why. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card is effing amazing! I think it needs to be on school reading lists myself. I think this book would do great for people who don't really think or care for sci-fi novels.

This is a truly underappreciated book! "The City of Gold and Lead" by John Christopher was the first sci-fi book I ever read. It's the second book in the Tripods Trilogy. Pretty simple really, aliens come to take over the earth, they roam around in tripods policing humans. Humans fight back with the help of the protagonist. I read this book so many times as a kid and it helped me develop my love for reading.

I think all of us have read "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury at some point or another. For me it was a college english class. I feel this books shows how deep sci-fi can go. Sci-fi shows us versions of our future and how our current actions got us there. I don't see how anyone could not read this book and not feel its message.

The last book I also had to read in a college english class. "Ethan Frome" by Edith Wharton, although short, has great character development and is small enough that someone not prone to reading classics could try. At first the story doesn't seem to be about much, and you wonder why until you realize how the story is being set up. This story is truly all about the characters and their development.