Monday, August 26, 2013

Book Review: Hidden by M. Lathan


This is the first indie book I believe I have read. I've had a kindle Fire for over a year now, but haven't utilized all the awesome books out there that are either free or very cheap. When I noticed I could get books for free I downloaded about ten, Hidden being among them. When it came time for me to pick up a new book to read, this one stood out, and without knowing what it was about, I began reading.

I won't make you guess what this books about. Here's a brief synopsis that is listed on amazon.


 Sixteen-year-old Leah Grant has given up on being normal. She'd settle for stopping the voices in her head, intrusive visions of the future, and better odds of making it to her seventeenth birthday. That's the thing about pretending to be human in a world where magic used to exist - at any moment, her cover could be blown and she'll be burned to death like the rest of the witches. Everything changes when she loses control of her powers and flees the orphanage she grew up in. She desperately wants to be invisible but finds her face plastered on every news channel as humans panic over the possible resurgence of her kind. And now the hunters won't give up until they find her. Making friends for the first time in her life and falling in love with one of them drives her to discover why she is unlike any being she's ever met - human or otherwise. The dangerous powers inside of her that would repel Nathan, her new, handsome reason for living, are priceless to some. The locked up forever kind of priceless. And to others, they are too dangerous to allow her to live. Let's hope she can stay hidden.

My thoughts

This book was very easy to read and was very well written. I wasn't sure what to expect when picking up my first indie author book, but I'm glad to report I was very surprised! The story had great pace and lots of twists and turns.

The characters were developed and I was able to emotionally connect with them. I loved that the setting was taking the usual paranormal feel, but adding a new edge to it. By that I mean, the war is over, humans won and now the paranormal creatures are gone or in hiding. This isn't a concept I've come across in my reading. It was a refreshing take on paranormal for me.

M. Lathan gives just enough description in this story to help the reader create the scene, but not in an overwhelming sense. I have a hard time reading books where there is paragraph after paragraph of description. I like being able to use my imagination to fill in the gaps of the world.

Tackles the Tough Issues

This story also tackles a lot of issues that I just don't see in a lot of young adult novels. Bullying and depression being the main issues the protagonist is confronted with. As I used to work with troubled teen girls I felt this description was dead on. The mean girls in the book were so mean! It's sad, but I've heard girls in real life say similar things. ( I once had to break up a fight because one girl told another that Justin Bieber thinks she's ugly.) I myself was make fun of a lot in middle school. It had a major impact on my life at the time and if I hadn't switched schools for high school, I might not have turned out differently than I did.


You can find this book on Amazon and Goodreads.

Make sure to come back later this week to see my interview with author M. Lathan!!