Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day Two of Make an Old Friend New Blog Challenge

Challenge for today: Talk to a college/work friend you haven't talked to in years.


My freshmen year of college I decided I wanted to be as far away from home as I could go. My parents who lived in Indiana encouraged me to go to schools within the state, but little o'l Joy here decided that a private school in Oklahoma would do the trick. I had relatives just a few hours away so no worries, right? 

It took about a month before I was crying to my mom on the phone saying how much I missed them. My brother, who was a senior at the time, was getting all the attention and seemed like he was having a blast with my family. Yet here I was, in an unknown city, 500 or more miles from my parents, broke, stressed, and lost. 

I was able to make some friends fairly fast; I went to the typical freshmen mixers and even went to a pick-up basketball game in order to meet new friends. Turned out I was the only girl! One friend quickly became my best friend and in a lot of ways the brother-in-standing. Once we became friends we did everything together! We would play basketball, go to the movies, walk to class, you name it. I was so happy I had made a close friend and it helped me not miss my brother and parents so much. 

After my freshmen year when I was back home in Indiana, I made the decision not to go back to the private school, due to it's cost. Luckily, this is around the time facebook started, so once my new school and old school were available on facebook, I was able to connect online with my freshmen college friends. 

Yesterday, when I decided to message this friend who was dear to me my freshmen year, I noticed I hadn't chatted with him on facebook since 2006 ( my freshmen year of college was 2003-2004)! Obviously we had a lot of catching up to do! He responded to my message very quickly and it was great catching up! He and his wife just bought a house and love where they live in Texas. I told him about my struggle to finish my degree and how I'm getting married soon. We also talked about staying in touch with people, and how it's something we want to work on. I love knowing my friend is doing well and is enjoying life. I don't think I'm going to wait another seven years to talk to him again!! 

How long has it been since you've connected with a past classmate or co-worker? Did their friendship at the time help you in your life? Would it be so hard to send them a quick message letting them know? :) Don't be shy! Just give it a try! (pretty catchy huh? )