Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Making the move

As some people that are close to me might know, I've recently gone through a career change. I think for anyone this is a big thing. I never really thought of myself as having a career before, but when I stopped to think about it, I did. I had been working in the mental health field for six years. Granted, that's not a very long time, but as I'm only 28, so that's a good portion of my working life.

Since I'm getting my degree in English, and I don't plan on teaching, I wanted a job that I would pay well, and give me time to write. To be honest, I really just needed a well paying job, as I want to get ahead of my bills vs staying behind them. When the job as a mail carrier opened up, I took it. This to me doesn't mean I will stay a mail carrier until I retire. I might, but I don't feel like I have to. I have a good paying job, helps me stay in shape, and is close to my home. Once I have my degree, and we move somewhere, I will probably apply to jobs that utilize my degree, but it's nice to know I have something to fall back on. Kind of like a pro athlete who decides to get their degree before going to the pros.


Changes are not always bad, even though they can be rough. When I was in training there was a lot of people older than me changing careers even though they were maybe ten years from retiring. Others were laid off, or had been unemployed for a while. It made me grateful that I had a job before I switched, and found one even after six months of looking.