Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Inspirational Person of the Week: Jawaad Saleem

Since I began joining communities on google+ I've gotten to know several other bloggers and aspiring authors like myself. Jawaad falls into both categories and he let me read what he was currently working on. You can read it as well on his blog-A Blog Without Answers. 

I loved the way he writes! It's very different from my own writing. His writing is deep and mental, and puts  you inside the mind of the character really well. My own, while still a work in progress, is mainly dialog. When I'm ready to start having people read my work Jawaad is first on my list!

He agreed to answer some questions for me to post. I liked the idea of learning from someone else who has the same goals as myself. 

1. How long have you been into writing? Has it always been apart of your life?

I began writing in the summer of 2009. That year was a great turning point in my life, a lot of things were changing and I had to let go of a lot of things, including friends, family and a relationship I had just gotten into! I took writing as a form of stress release, every time I wrote, it was a way of hiding everything I could not bear to think about in those pages I never really looked back on. Writing hadn't always been a part of my life but ever since I acknowledged writing, I’ve never left it. 

2. What inspired you to write the novel you're working on now? 

Well when I began blogging, I wrote an article called Going Home and when I finished writing it I had no clue what I was thinking during writing it. I felt curious in what that person had been through whom I wrote about in that article. It all started from there, I began taking aspects of my life and dreams that I once had of travelling a journey filled with progress, letting go and beginning anew. I guess my article ‘Going Home’ was my inspiration to write my novel.

3. What do you plan to do with your novel once it is complete? What made you decided this?

Honestly, that depends on how many people like the story. Because I publish chapter by chapter on my blog, I’m hoping that at the end of it all I’ll have enough of a following to publish my novel as an e-book. I can certainly tell you, the story that I have envisioned is not just a one book novel. The reason why I don’t want to just stop at writing the novel and publishing it just on my blog is because I believe in thinking really big. If I don’t get anywhere near what I had dreamt of, at least I would have tried. 

4. What would you want to say to others who are aspiring to be authors? 

 Anyone can write but authors who consistently write always have a reason behind it. A dream probably, a way to get closure on your thoughts, or even an experience that you want everyone to acknowledge. Whatever that reason is, hold on to it and no matter what happens don’t let anything or anyone put you down. Don’t stop writing! Trust me, you’re most probably a better writer than I am. I know for a fact Joy can write better dialogue than I could have ever dreamed of.

5. What's one thing you've learned about yourself since you began writing?

One thing I've learnt about myself is that I cannot leave a chapter half-finished and write again the next day. I have to be in that state of mind to finish off the chapter and I never really know what I’m going to write about until I sit down and write, it’s never planned. If by accident I do leave a chapter half way done, I’d have to re-write the whole chapter and it turns out to be completely different to what it was before.
Thanks for the interview! You’re awesome.


I love being able to connect with other aspiring authors. Writing a book let alone trying to publish it is hard work! Having someone along the way who is going through the same ups and downs makes all the difference.