Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Review of Elodie and Heloise by Cecilee Linke

Today I'd like to review and talk about the book Elodie and Heloise by Cecilee Linke. 

First, here's a description of the book: 

Elodie is the Queen Bee of her high school and is the girl everyone wants to be.

Heloise is the quiet girl in the corner with few friends and a busy class schedule.

The only things that Elodie and Heloise have in common is their French heritage and identical looks. They were friends as children, but they haven’t spoken to each other civilly in years.

One thing they do have in common: neither of them is truly happy with their lives.

Elodie has a secret that she can’t share with anyone else except her mother.

Though Heloise is most happy when she’s making ratatouille and blanquette de veau with her French father, she has wanted a job in physics since she was a child.

Only when tragedy strikes are the two girls brought closer together. By then, it’s too almost too late.


So, with that said, here's my review of the book. ( I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)

This book transported me back to high school. Although I couldn't identify fully with either of the sisters, as I as a mix of both of them in high school, I could still appreciate both characters. The tension between the two is obvious and the author goes back and forth between the two as far as narration goes. Each sister has their own passion and love interests and these slowly develop as the book progresses. 

This book focus a lot on details. Much time was given describing what the characters were doing. Although this amount of detail isn't my style, I was still able to enjoy the story. I did find myself skimming over some detailed parts (one of the sisters loves to cook and her recipes are given) the story progressed fairly nicely. 

Overall I feel this book would be great for teen girls who are in high school as it deals with issues that relate mostly to them. As someone who's been out of high school for ten years though I was still able to enjoy this book. 

To read more about the book and author you can visit here