Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: Stealing Fire

So this weeks review is the book Stealing Fire by Susan Sloate. First I'd just like to say she has been such a pleasure to work with! Tomorrow on the blog is my interview with her and then Friday is her guest post! Lot's to look forward too!

So first lets start off with a bit about this book:

HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE YOUR SOUL MATE?

In glittery 1980's Los Angeles, Beau Kellogg, a brilliant Broadway lyricist now reduced to writing advertising jingles, yearns for one more hit on Broadway to compensate for his miserable marriage and unhappy life.

Amanda Harary,a young, idealistic singer out of sync with her contemporaries, dreams of singing on Broadway while holding down a day job at a small New York hotel.

When they meet in a phone conversation over the hotel switchboard, it is the beginning of something neither has ever found--an impossible situation which will bring them each unexpected success, untold joy and piercing heartache... until they learn that some connections, however improbable, are meant to last forever.

STEALING FIRE is, at its heart, a story for romantics everywhere, who believe in the transformative power of love.


So now that you know what this wonderful book is about, here's what I think! *I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*



I don't read romance novels too much, but this book sounded interesting. First off, it's set in the 80's, which I think is just super awesome (and not just because I was born in the 80s!). It was refreshing to have something set in another time period. What really caught my attention though, was the voice or style in this novel, how it was written. 

Beau and Amanda love the good o'l days, back in the 50's when everything was great, or well, at least different. This theme and style is present throughout the whole novel. I felt like a guy from one of the movies back then could narrate this whole book, and end it with a, "here's looking at you kid." The novel is so well written that this theme and style are always present and apparent. 

This story reminded me of Jane Eyre in a lot of ways. Although I don't know if it was intentional, the plot lines are somewhat similar. I've read modern adaptations of Jane Eyre but even though this book isn't one of them, I feel it could almost be, so if your a fan of it you would surely love this book as well.

The dialog in this book is great! I can't stand dialog that doesn't sound real and in this book it wasn't an issue. Amanda is witty and the conversations between her and Beau are funny, witty and entertaining, and seem real. Once again, very well written. 

The story is written from Amanda and Beau's perspectives, and a few other characters as well. As an aspiring author myself I felt this was a novel I could learn from. Story structure, the dialog, and progression of the story were all top notch. If my own writing could read as well as this I know I'd be on the right track! 

If you are into romance novels I would recommend this book for sure! You can visit Susan's website to find out more about her and her novels. Also don't forget that tomorrow is her interview and Friday her guest post!!