Monday, October 28, 2013

Review of The Contaminants by Devin K. Smyth

About the Book:

When America attempts to "purify" earth to maintain its own dominance, it sparks a worldwide nuclear holocaust. Teen friends Jessil and Soraj are among the few survivors. They escaped on a cruiser that now orbits the planet and is designed to help regenerate the earth's ecosystem. Soraj’s father leads the regeneration process and is hopeful that he can salvage a region in North America for the cruiser’s return.

But when Jessil discovers a message indicating her own father may have survived the holocaust back on earth, she’s determined to rescue him immediately with Soraj's aid. Can they succeed even though the planet they return to is very different from the one they left—and that their success could mean failure for the regeneration process?





My Review:

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

This book was pretty darn awesome. Very..very creative! It did take me a bit to get used to the way it was written. It was written in first person narrative, but the way the characters talked was if they are telling you what they are doing seconds after doing it. Although it's a bit different, it's still easy to read and get into. 

This book is very creative, like I said. It's a true science fiction novel and I LOVE IT! The gadgets they use to what becomes of the Earth are all believable. I honestly can't imagine any science fiction fan not enjoying this book on some level. It's not a long book so it makes for easy, light reading. The action flows and has a good pace.

I will say, towards the end of the book, I didn't like Jessil as much.  Her and Soraj are the narrations, each chapter switching to the others point of view. I liked Soraj the best, his academic way of speaking and bravery. 

Overall, I'm glad I read this book. As a science fiction fan I was not let down and got to experience a world while yet different from our own, it gave a glimpse into what our future could hold if we don't make some changes now. 

Goodreads  /  Amazon