Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Book Review of FORWARD TO CAMELOT by Susan Sloate and Kevin Flinn

First I'd like to start off with a bit about this book. I wasn't quite sure what I was signing up for when I agreed with Susan to do a review, but I liked Stealing Fire so I figured I would like this book as well.

WHERE WERE YOU THE DAY KENNEDY WAS SAVED?
On the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination comes a new edition of the extraordinary time-travel thriller first published in 2003 with a new Afterword from the authors.

On November 22, 1963, just hours after President Kennedy’s assassination, Lyndon Johnson was sworn in as President aboard Air Force One using JFK’s own Bible. Immediately afterward, the Bible disappeared. It has never been recovered. Today, its value would be beyond price. 

In the year 2000, actress Cady Cuyler is recruited to return to 1963 for this Bible—while also discovering why her father disappeared in the same city, on the same tragic day. Finding frightening links between them will lead Cady to a far more perilous mission: to somehow prevent the President’s murder, with one unlikely ally: an ex-Marine named Lee Harvey Oswald.

Forward to Camelot: 50th Anniversary Edition brings together an unlikely trio: a gallant president, the young patriot who risks his own life to save him, and the woman who knows their future, who is desperate to save them both. 

History CAN be altered …


So here's what I think.

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

Growing up I never really knew or learned a whole lot about JFK. I knew he was a well loved president who was assassinated. Before I read this book though, my husband and I watched a documentary series titled "The Untold History of the United States." I learned a lot about JFK! This got me really excited to read this book.

I didn't even know this book had time travel in it. Any book with time travel is completely awesome on that fact alone. That wasn't all this book did though, it kept me on the edge of my seat, made me love and also at times dislike a character. My mind would be racing trying to predict what would happen next only to be blown out of the water! 

You don't have to know much about JFK to appreciate this book, you wouldn't even need to be an American! If you like books that are interesting, keep your attention, play with your emotions and make you overall can't wait till you can find time to read-this book needs to be on your 'to be read' list. 

Amazon   Goodreads

Here's a bit about the authors:

Susan Sloate is the author or co-author of more than 20 published books, including STEALING FIRE (a mainstream love story published by Drake Valley Press, which shot to #2 in its category on Amazon within 12 hours of going live in July). FORWARD TO CAMELOT: 50th Anniversary Edition (with Kevin Finn, published by Drake Valley Press) is the revised and updated edition of their 2003 time-travel thriller, which in its original edition became a #6 Amazon bestseller, took honors in 3 literary competitions and was optioned for film by a Hollywood production company. REALIZING YOU (with Ron Doades) is a new genre entirely: the self-help NOVEL, which was published in September, giving Susan three major novels in different genres, all published within 90 days. She has also written 17 young-adult books, including five biographies, a history of Alcatraz, a book about baseball, one on pre-teen fashion, and entries in four different girls' book series. She has been a sportswriter and a screenwriter, has managed two recent political campaigns, and currently serves on the Culture, Arts & Pride Commission of the Town of Mount Pleasant, SC.

After beginning his career as a television news and sports writer-producer, KEVIN FINN moved on to screenwriting and has authored more than a dozen screenplays. He is a freelance script analyst and has worked for the prestigious American Film Institute Writer’s Workshop Program. He now produces promotional trailers, independent film projects including the 2012 documentary SETTING THE STAGE: BEHIND THE SCENES WITH THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE, and local content for Princeton Community Television.
 
His next novel, Banners Over Brooklyn, will be released in 2014.