Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Interview with author Ch'kara SilverWolf

First, here's a bit about the author:
I live in the beautiful Yarra Ranges in Victoria, Australia with my ever patient partner and two beautiful Maine Coon cats.

My first full length novel is Daughter of Light & Dark.

I have written many short stories and a few not quite finished novels. I have always had a love of mystical and fantasy creatures. They are like old friends who come alive on the pages.


I love picking author's brains on how they got their story ideas and their writing process. Ch'kara was nice enough to answer some questions for me! 

This story has a folklore feel to it (to me anyway).  Was it intentional?

No not intentional, when I am writing it is as though I am being told a story and the characters take me on the journey they want to go.  I would guess my muse for this story wanted it to be this way.

Did you make up all or most of the names in the book?  They seem so unique.

I made them up, all except my main character.  As a character begins to take shape, their names just come to me.  I did have to change a couple in this book, merely because I used a version of names of a couple of people I know.  When I wrote them in, I knew it didn’t quite feel right.  My editor when he sent my manuscript back said that he thought those two names didn’t work.  When I looked at them again, the right names just popped into my head and everything flowed more easily.

What sparked the idea for this novel?

I had a few thoughts about this world, took some notes and played around with ideas.  Then one day I was in a bank, the teller’s name was Montayna, and it just hit me that this was the name of my main character and then from there everything flowed.

When do you plan to have the second book in this series published?

It is almost ready to go to the editor, so with luck it will be by the end of this year or very early 2014.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?


I would say to read everything you can in the genre that you want to write in.  Get beta readers, they can give wonderful feedback on what works and what doesn’t.  And always get it edited.  There are many Indie authors out there now and it’s important to put out your work in as professional a manner as possible.  This is like your baby and you want to be proud of what you are offering to the public.