Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Book Review: Nightmares and Other Therapy by D. W. Carver

Hospitals are supposed to help. Michael found that wasn’t always true.

Book 1 of the Smithson's series. 


Michael couldn’t understand the nightmares that made him violent on waking, mostly because he didn’t have the courage to think his problem through. Eventually, pressured into entering a mental hospital by his employers he thought that here he would find answers and a way to a better life. He was never more wrong.

* I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

For starters I really enjoyed how this book was written. The tone and pace of the book made it all the more enjoyable. Michael is a character plagued by trouble. I was able to relate to him and feel for him. For a guy with a lot of issues I think he handled things as best he could, but it really made me think about mental health and how it must be like to have issues like that. 

Although this isn't necessarily a happy book, I'd still recommend it. It's well written and is very thought provoking. Keep in mind it is an adult book.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book going into it, but I was pleasantly surprised and keept wanting more. 

Goodreads  /  B&N  /  Amazon