Thursday, January 2, 2014

Author Interview with Georgia Bell author of Unbound!!

As you know I LOVE to pick authors brains! As an aspiring author myself I get giddy when an author agrees to answer questions for me. Since they are doing something I hope to be doing in the near future, it's a great learning experience! Here's what Georgia so graciously answered for me!

1. How did you come up with the story line for Unbound?

I'm a genuine sucker for romance, particularly those involving slightly taciturn male leads. I blame this on multiple re-readings of The Lord of the Rings in my formative years. I had a huge crush on Aragorn. At any rate, I believe I was daydreaming about the kind of backstory a character like that needs in order to set up the romantic elements I like so much. The story sort of flowed from Rachel and Eaden and I wrote around them. Unbound also touches on many of the things I have loved so much in my own reading, like magic, myth, and destiny. 

2. Have you always wanted to write a novel? Do you have any others in the works?

Being a writer was something I always thought about doing and was too afraid to try. All of my early attempts to write fiction were disasters because I was trying so hard to write something "important". It was only when I stopped trying to write for others and wrote for my own enjoyment that I was able to write in any real way. Unbound wasn't initially meant to be anything but a way to occupy myself on my long train commute a few years ago. But I had such a great time while playing around with the story, I knew that I'd finally come to a place where writing, like reading, was something I could do for pleasure. Currently I'm working on the second book in the All Good Things series called Unknown.  I also have a stand-alone that has been knocking around my brain for a few years. No title yet, but it falls within the speculative fiction category.  

3. What is the hardest thing for you when it comes to writing? 

There are many hard things. Stopping and then starting again would be at the top of my list. Seriously, once I start writing I don't want to stop and everything in my real life takes a back seat. But if I take a break, even just a day or two, I find it so much harder to get going again. Currently, I write in my head as I go about my day and then try really hard to get it down whenever I can find time. Finding time is probably one of the hardest things too, given my other commitments. 

4. What advice would you give to aspiring authors? 

I'm not sure I feel qualified to give advice to anyone at this point. But I'll say that what helped me most was learning to write without judgment. Judgment and evaluation come later. First, you have to be able to enjoy creation. When I let go of expectations and wrote what I wanted, I had so much fun that I didn't have to try to write. Instead, I wanted to write and I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Also, I have read Stephen King's On Writing several times. I think he's amazing and he writes with great humour and wisdom about the challenges and triumphs of being a writer. 

About the Author:
Georgia Bell was raised on a steady diet of science fiction and fantasy, courtesy of her father, a man who loved his family, fishing, scotch, and science (although not necessarily in that order). Georgia is an avid reader of young adult fiction, and a lover of good wine, music, children, and cats (although not necessarily in that order).