Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Long and Short of writing a Review

I've been doing book reviews on this blog for quite a while now. I really enjoy it and still find it hard to believe that authors seek me out to have me review their books! I've noticed some things though and want to see what others think.

I tend to write short reviews. Three paragraphs seems to be the norm. When I write my review I don't want to talk about what happens in the book; to me that is not the purpose of the review. My review isn't a book report. I simply just want to let readers know if this book was worth reading or not, what made it worth reading and why. Was the plot developed enough? Did it keep me interested the whole time? Was the dialog believable? Was the story unique? These are the things I try to answer in my reviews. Short and to the point I guess.

So, I'm curious, do you read book reviews? Do you like longer, in-depth reviews or more short and sweet ones? Obviously we know I like short ones, but I want to know what others think. Which type of review helps you decide if you want to read the book?