Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Author Intervirew with Aaron Galvin!!!


1. At the end of the book you list a lot of the places where you got your research for the book. How long did you spend doing research?


I spent around two to three months immersing myself in Salem history, reading and re-reading, watching documentaries, etc. For anyone interested in non-fiction regarding the trials, I highly recommend Mary Beth Norton’s In The Devil’s Snare: The Salem Witch Crisis of 1692. Fascinating read.


2. What was the most surprising thing you learned while writing this book?

That’s a great question because the Salem trials have always intrigued me, but I was amazed at how much I didn’t know and how, to my mind at least, obviously corrupt the trials were. For example, there were other towns who had villagers cry witch against their neighbors, but their claims easily fell apart upon closer inspection so nothing happened. Salem was different in that adults jumped into the fray too. To me, it begged the question why and offered numerous opportunities for a fictional take.


3. Are you currently working on any writing projects?

I am. Thanks for asking!

Currently, I’m finishing up Taken With A Grain of Salt, the sequel to my novel, debut Salted. Critics continued to laud the series for its unique perspective on mermaids and selkies, as well as not shying away from difficult subjects.

Afterward, I’m jumping back into the Vengeance trilogy to write the Salem’s Vengeance sequel. I can’t wait!


4. What is your favorite part of the writing process?

When I go back and reread a paragraph or line that I don’t remember writing. It might sound odd to say I’m channeling the voices in my head, but sometimes it feels that way. I love it when I’m writing a character and they throw me for a loop by going a direction I didn’t initially intend.


5. Advice for aspiring authors?

No excuses, write like a champion. I think one of the hardest things is forcing yourself to stare at the screen and then start typing, especially when you’re not feeling the words. You have to turn off your social media, quit scouting the fantasy football waiver wire, and just focus. Lock in. That’s my process, at least. I’ve found once I’ve typed a few sentences the wheels start churning and I’m off to the races. So my advice would be do whatever you need to get in your writing zone, then force yourself not to leave it until you hit your goal. 

About Aaron:
 
Salem’s Vengeance is Aaron Galvin’s second novel.
His debut, Salted, a YA urban fantasy, continues to receive critical acclaim for its unique take on mermaids and selkies.
Aaron is also an accomplished actor, screenwriter, and film producer. He has worked on Hollywood blockbusters (The Dark Knight, Flags of Our Fathers), starred in dozens of indie films, and he co-wrote/executive produced the 2013 award-winning comedic feature film, Wedding Bells & Shotgun Shells.
Aaron is a proud member of SCBWI and currently lives in Southern California with his wife and daughter.


Learn more about Aaron and Salem’s Vengeance

Website/Blog: www.aarongalvin.com