Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review of Flawless by Sarah M. Lemmon

 Sixteen-year-old Katerina gets more adventure than she bargains for when she runs away from home. As a young Natural (someone who has not been genetically engineered) in a Perfect-dominated world she is desperate to escape the suffocating prejudice and pressures that are slowly destroying her family.

Mere minutes after Katerina’s arrival in the grimy, grey city of Grimaven she is rescued from abduction and grisly genetic experimentation by Kaithe, a mysterious, cynical cat-human hybrid, a creature Katerina never would have imagined existed. Katerina begins living in a dilapidated warehouse with Kaithe and her quirky hybrid crew who are also the results of secret experiments in human-animal genetic modification.

Katerina soon learns that her aunt and cousin have been abducted as she nearly was. Now, she must convince the hybrids to help her attempt a dangerous, potentially fatal rescue mission.

My Review:

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

The world Lemmon has created was like one I have never read about before. I found it to be very interesting and intriguing. I liked the fact that it was teenagers dealing with what was going on in this world and not adults. Katerina was a great character to follow and very easy to relate too.

The pace of this story is spot-on. It's fast paced and is a quick read. Each chapter you learn more of what is going on and what Katerina and her new friends must do to help her aunt. The dialog in this story was great. I would find myself getting caught up in it and following it as if I was watching it on tv. I love stories with great dialog and this one delivered.

This story is set in the future so I would label it as science fiction. I feel readers who enjoy books like Divergent and The Hunger Games would enjoy this story as well.

GoodreadsAmazon