Friday, November 21, 2014

Author Interview with Erik Therme author of Mortom

1. I would think writing a mystery would be a bit harder than a general fiction novel. Was it hard or easy to come up with so many plot twists?

Interestingly enough, it was never my intent to write a mystery. Mortom was originally written as a straightforward horror story about a demon hiding in a church. The story never fully resonated with me, so I dropped the supernatural elements and shifted the main focus toward family dynamics. It was when I added the 'follow the clues' storyline that everything fell into place, and Mortom became the story it is today.





2. As an aspiring author I have to know...is being an author all you thought it would be?

Absolutely . . . and not at all.

The response from friends and fans has been overwhelming, and that alone has made the journey worthwhile. When a reader connects with your work, it's the most incredible feeling in the world. It's also pretty amazing to see your book sitting on a bookstore shelf.

On the flip side, I had no idea how much work went into marketing a book. Striking a balance between writing and promotion can be daunting, but to be successful you absolutely have to treat your writing as a business.





3. Do you plan to write more books? If so when can we expect them?

I am currently finishing up my next novel entitled Resthaven, and then I hope to begin work on a sequel to Mortom. My goal is to write (and release) one book a year, but life often has other plans!

 


4. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

Writing is 10% talent and 90% dedication and perseverance. Never give up, and do whatever it takes to get your work into the world.



Don't forget to check out Erick's website here!