Monday, August 3, 2015

Nitty Gritty

Things are getting down to the wire, or so it feels to me. I'm trying to keep on top of everything I need to get myself enrolled this fall semester. Even if I just can take one class, that's better than nothing right? Even though things are getting close and I can feel my anxiety rise, I know it's not worth it. Yes, I have two semesters left till I graduate. If I can't go this fall, then I'll graduate next Fall. Either way I will make it happen!

Today was my first day at my new job at UPS. I think for a lot of people in Louisville it's almost like a right of passage, and all of us end up working there at some point. The best thing about the job is the college tuition benefits. I learned today in my many sheets of paper I was given that if I became a part-time supervisor my tuition money would be paid to my school before I started as well as getting money for books. Otherwise employees are just reimbursed. This give me even more drive to do well! Me and my hard working self can move up, finish school and then on to a job that just might pay me to write stuff. Or at least pay me a lot because I have a degree.

I know people say that having a degree doesn't really get you much further than someone without it, but I don't necessary believe that. The glass celling is higher for those with degrees, even just a bachelors, which is what I'm still working on. I've been working for over ten years now and have yet to get paid more that $15 hr. Having a degree for me though, isn't all about making more money, it's about being able to be in a career that I can move up and around in, and not just stuck on the bottom. Do you think having a degree helps?